Re: [Swprograms] Favorite *non-English* music on shortwave?

Re: [Swprograms] Favorite *non-English* music on shortwave?

"Richard Cuff" <rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx> graced hard-core-dx.com with these
words of wisdom:

> On 12/4/06, Kevin Anderson <k9iua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If I can, I try to catch RTI's Mandopop101, which is UTC Fridays
>> in the States at 0220-0255, repeated at 0320-0355, on 5975 khz.
>>
>> Kevin Anderson
>
> Is that in their (presumably) Mandarin Chinese service?
>
> (I'm being lazy...didn't check to see if that was in their English
> language block)

No; that's part of their English programming.

I don't particularly care for Asian pop music, althought at least what's
on Mandopop 101 isn't as bad as the stuff KBS World Radio has on Sundays
on "K-Pop Interactive" -- a bunch of foppish boy-band wannabes singing
formulaic combinations of synth and rap, or soloists (male and female)
singing incredibly treacly ballads that might make even "Up With People"
vomit.

I prefer "Jade Bells and Bamboo Pipes" on Wednesdays from around 0230 UTC.

China Radio International's English service has "China Roots" on Saturdays
at 1100 UTC on 5960 kHz, but that frequency hasn't been coming in as well
as whatever they were using over the summer.  (Never mind that it's now
6AM here in the East!)

Croatian Radio plays some fun pop music when they come in on 7285 kHz.  At
least, it's fun for me -- it reminds me of the sort of music popular in
Russia when I studied there back in 1992.  It sounds like a bad Communist
interpretation of 1970s-era Western pop, but it's just too cheesy to
resist.

Radio Bulgaria plays some similar music in some of their music segments.

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
TV Announcer: It's 11:00.  Do you know where your children are?