Re: [Swprograms] [dxld] RCI`s drastic schedule changes

Re: [Swprograms] [dxld] RCI`s drastic schedule changes

I think this can be understood only in the context of what CBC has
done over the past year to make its content available throughout the
continent via Sirius.  The feeling in management circles must be that
now that much more content than ever before is available to North
American (and, consequently, USA) listeners, RCI's mission can be
redirected.  Certainly the availability of CBC1, CBC3, Premiere Chaine
(i.e.: Plus), Bandeapart and RCI Plus--all 24/7--trumps anything they
had been able to do previously via RCI on shortwave.

Given its longstanding audibility problems on sw in my part of the US
(northeast) and the arrival of CBC on Sirius, I can't say I will miss
it.  I haven't listened to RCI on sw much at all over the last year.
It's a sad but true statement; but that's the way it is.

As a consequence of all this, we are witnessing RCI attempting to find
a new raison d'etre.  For now, it appears to be centering on new
immigrants, actual and potential.  I'm not at all certain that this is
a winning formula.  Perhaps we are seeing RCI (at least as we have
come to know it over the decades) in its final hours?

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY