[Swprograms] Homer, PBS and Ham Radio

I was watching an episode of the Simpsons last night which was unusually brilliant.

Homer is really into a bawdy BBC British comedy on PBS TV when they come on with one of their begathon appeals for money.  Homer is really upset at the interruption. "Only $10,000 needed to make our goal for this hour.  As soon as we get the $10,000 we'll return to our program."  Light bulb goes on.  Homer picks up the phone and pledges $10,000 he does not have.  Homer settles back to watch the end of the show.

A few days later the PBS Pledge Police show up at his door in a white van with a satellite uplink dish on the roof.  They rough Homer up but he escapes to the sanctuary of Reverend Lovejoy's church.  The good reverend smuggles Homer onto an airplane sending supplies to a missionary colony in the South Pacific.  Lovejoy gives Homer a ham radio rig so Homer can keep in touch with Marge.  The frequency shown on the digital dial of the transceiver is 21272.5 a legitimate 15 meter ham band frequency for the hop from Shelbyville to the South Pacific in times of better sunspots.

Somebody in the Simpsons back room must be a ham and a fan of Britcoms on PBS.  Harry Shearer?  Anybody know?

Joe Buch