[Swprograms] BBC's Sambrook trashes BBCWS while promoting BBC Farsi TV

[Swprograms] BBC's Sambrook trashes BBCWS while promoting BBC Farsi TV

  sigh, the usual.

  But a long discussion

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2006/10/speaking_to_iran_1.html

Speaking to Iran

    * Richard Sambrook
    * 10 Oct 06, 04:54 PM

We have announced today that the BBC is going to launch a TV
news and information channel for Iran in early 2008. It will be
broadcast in Farsi (Persian) and will be distributed free by
satellite.

World Service logoIt's the latest in a number of initiatives to
develop the BBC World Service from a radio-dominated operation
into a multi-media service for key international audiences. Last
year we closed 10 radio language services to be able to
re-invest the money in an Arabic TV channel and in improved
internet services. This time the British government is paying
the full cost of Farsi TV.

Television is increasingly the dominant way people in the Middle
East, Iran and many other parts of the world receive their news.
We have had a successful Farsi radio broadcast to Iran for more
than 60 years and, more recently, on the internet as well -
although recently the Iranian authorities have sought to block
the internet site. However if we are to continue to maintain our
audience reach in the region, it is essential we move into TV.

The service will reflect the BBC's core editorial values of
impartiality and fairness and crucially bring a broad range of
international reporting to an audience which cannot always get
access to free and independent information.

Although the service is funded by the British Government, as is
the rest of the BBC World Service, the new channel will of course....

		[ more ....]