[Swprograms] The "New Realities" of Public Radio

[Swprograms] The "New Realities" of Public Radio

NPR is apparently hosting a series of forums (fora?) called the "New
Realities Forum" to create a dialogue surrounding the challenges
facing the industry.

An interesting quote from a blog on the subject:

"It was pointed out that only about 5% of stations' budgets are spent
on new technologies. The other 95% are spent on our core radio
business.

"This was contrasted to where public radio's strategic resources are
allocated, especially on a national level. It was suggested that 95%
of our mental energy was being spent on new technologies and only 5%
on our core business."

The blog post is an interesting look at the concerns Public Radio sees
in context of new media technologies such as those sucking budget
dollars (rightly or wrongly) from shortwave broadcasting.

See http://radiosutton.blogspot.com/2006/05/organizing-our-thoughts.html

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA