Re: [Swprograms] Kim Andrew Elliott on VOA cuts

Re: [Swprograms] Kim Andrew Elliott on VOA cuts

On John's first simile, dealing with streetcars, here's a different perspective.

Consider that many streetcar companies were purchased by GM in the
1950s because their owners (private and public) were poorly funded and
didn't maintain the systems.  GM bailed out these ailing / bankrupt
streetcar companies -- who were grateful for the cash -- and replaced
the streetcars with GM-built buses.

On Scott's note, I have this additional thought.  In areas where SW is
still deemed desirable -- primarily Africa, South Asia, and the
Pacific -- one presumes that inexpensive, analog multiband portables
are probably what most folks have access to.  Will one frequency per
target region be good enough for these folks on their analog
portables?

If they can afford digitally tuned radios, they are more likely living
in environments where FM / Worldspace / TV reception is doable for
them.

Kim's comment about Kavala and the range of reception reports needs to
be kept in context -- I'd wager many of those reception reports --
especially those from improbably locations came from hobbyists with
decent equipment, not a remote villager with a cheap analog portable.

QSL reports as an accurate reflection of a listening demographic would
be an interesting academic exercise, as well.  Over the years, what
percent of QSL reports came from hobbyists vs. "villagers"?

While I don't have an Ev-DO connection...not yet anyway... I do use
Replay Radio (http://www.replay-radio.com) and podcasts to digitally
record, save and transfer audio to an MP3 player... with three clicks
each evening I automagically record two BBC programs and either a CBC
program (AIH) or Marketplace for the next day...rarely does the
technology malfunction, and fading / propagation issues are
nonexistent.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA