[Swprograms] Quote of the Day

In a Bloomberg News article carrying the byline of Charles Goldsmith
and published in todays Albany (NY) Times-Union (and probably other
papers), BBC Director General Mark Thompson is quoted as follows:

"[The BBC] should no longer think of itself as a broadcaster of TV and
radio and some new media on the side.  We should aim to deliver public
service content to our audiences in whatever media and on whatever
device makes sense for them, whether they are at home or on the move."

But apparently if you are part of the BBC's audience living in the
Western Hemisphere or Australasia and you are a part of the sizeable
segment of that audience for whom the media that makes the most sense
for you--whether at home or on the move--is shortwave and the device
that makes sense for you is a shortwave capable radio, you curiously--
and somewhat illogically--do not come under the aegis of Mr.
Thompson's stated intent.

One can only conclude from this dichotomy that this statement is just
more of the same p.r.-inspired b.s. that is intended to obfuscate
rather than clarify and illuminate which we are getting used to
hearing from those in BBC management circles of late.  Underlining
this point is information contained in the remainder of the article
wherein Mr. Thompson states that he wants the BBC and its web site to
be a "premier destination" for unsigned music groups, ape the success
of sites like MySpace.com, create a new "broad-based teen brand"
with "a single music strategy" across all its platforms and commission
more comedy pilots while creating a BBC Sports broadband portal with
live video and audio.

To my ears, these all sound like broadcasting objectives more
appropriate to commercial entities, and decidedly not the "delivery of
public service content" stated by Mr. Thompson.  In drawing such a
conclusion, one has to wonder under what possible justification can
the BBC still legitimately claim special status as a public service
broadcaster and demand access to a mandatory license fee, let alone an
increase in one.

recent management had broken the BBC... and it can no longer be
fixed.  Make it be what its myopic management wants it to be by
releasing it from its no longer deserved special status.  What has
been lost is considerable and valuable, but it can no longer be
recaptured or rebuilt and that is sad, very sad.  Let's not reward the
destroyers of the dream and let the delusion that this is a "public
broadcaster" stand any longer.

John Figliozzi