Re: [Swprograms] [dxld] BBC SW

Sandy Finlayson wrote:

> Everyone enjoys BBC news but we hardly need it 24/7.

I'd have to argue that only getting BBC News is better than ZERO service.

When I recently visited Puerto Rico, I did not have convenient access to the
Internet for a few days. When Internet was available, it cost an arm and a leg.
Most local radio stations did not broadcast in English, and where there was
cable TV service, the only source of news in English was CNN.

Enter the shortwave radio to save the day.

I happen to speak English and French, so if I'm ever in the U.S., I know that
some sort of RCI service I can understand will be broadcast from 7 a.m. until 11
p.m. Eastern.

At home, I can get a good signal from Australia in the morning year-round. New
Zealand and Australia both do really well in the evening during our summers.

Then there's Radio Netherlands' excellent weekend afternoon service. (Too bad
it's not daily!)

Like I said in another post, I'm sad to see BBC leave SW. But as long as
EVERYONE ELSE doesn't abandon it completely, we're going to be OK.

Ricky Leong
Calgary

--
The whistle shrill still lingers on