Re: [Swprograms] Will NPR replace the VOA as America'sEnglish-languagevoice?

Re: [Swprograms] Will NPR replace the VOA as America'sEnglish-languagevoice?

Two good points:-

>From Richard Cuff "the fairer question is which broadcaster represents
American values in English?  NPR or VOA?"

>From Scott Royall "It might not be wise to assume that all state-funded
broadcasters share the noble values espoused by the BBC. Even they falter at
times."

In answer to Richard - In my view NPR and VOA both represent American values
in English. However on shortwave VOA doesn't represent them very often !Your
view of VOA as a listener depends on your method of reception. As NPR is
either satellite or Internet delivered in Europe it is only fair to compare
it with VOA on satellite. The 24 hour satellite stream in Europe is a hybrid
of News Now and music programmes and is arguably much better than the few
hours on shortwave for that reason. If VOA got it's act together on
satellite distribution then they would each be reasonable competition for
the other.

In answer to Scott - I discounted the BBC in this respect as it's a domestic
broadcaster for us in London. I was considering Deutsche Welle, Radio
Netherlands and Radio Polonia as broadcasters which enhance the reputations
of their countries of origin.

Mark Hawkins
London