Re: [Swprograms] More on Sirius, Post-Stern

John Figliozzi wrote:
> Speaking of that, I'm sure you've noted that Sirius has quite a few
> of the old NYC and MTV DJs on their air.  Folks like Carol Miller,

Yeah, sounds like the old WPLJ (which I also remember as WABC-FM) crowd.
I did know about Cousin Brucie, but didn't know about Scelsa. That's a
nice surprise. Schwartz was a strange animal. During the prog-rock days
he was always the soft-spoken, easy-going, baseball guy. If the move to
standards and/or classical is throwing you, I seem to remember that's
exactly what he was doing the last time I stumbled onto him. One other
thing I just noticed from the list that Rich posted, was Alex Bennett on
the Left channel. I remember listening to his late-night call-in show on
WPLJ about 30 years (ugh!) ago too.

> Just can't bring myself to pay the price for HD right now.  Maybe the
> fact I have three in college has something to do with that.  Are you
> coming to Kulpsville this year?  Missed you the last few.

I figured I'd take the plunge before my first and only goes away to
college this year, which... may actually interfere with my fest plans,
BTW. One weekend around that time she goes for a fellowship interview,
the following weekend she auditions for a spot on the drama department.
The timing is going to be interesting.

That being said, I would venture to guess that LCD-based DLP sets will
be coming down sharply this year. They were about half the price of
plasma a year ago, and prices are now about half of that. So, unless
you're a gamer, that's the way to go (LCD is too slow for some games).
DLP helps clear some of the "dinginess" of LCD too. One of the things
that's a problem for either is that either can't really handle low
contrast scenes very well as compared with a good raster display. The
colors just don't come out right, like watching video on your computer
screen.

However, highly sampled 1080i video showing on a 40-50" screen is a
truly spectacular thing to see, especially for sporting events. Because
the technology is essentially based on MPEG 4, there are some near-HD
broadcasts that can't handle motion very well and pixilate when the
compression is set too high. I saw that effect on every Universal HD
Sunday-morning rebroadcast of Notre Dame home games (basically from
NBC), but that was a trade-off for me. :^)

--

Mark J. Fine
Remington, Virginia, USA