[Swprograms] JOE ADAMOV PASSED AWAY

I was just checking the Voice of Russia website and came across this notice
that Joe Adamov had passed away. It's undated so I don't know if this old news
or not. http://www.vor.ru/English/JAdamov.html
(Steve Lare, Holland, MI, USA, Dec 19, dxldyg via DXLD) Viz., illustrated:

We are sad to inform you that after a long illness, our colleague and friend ?
Joe Adamov passed away.

In 1942, at the age of 21, after graduation from Moscow?s Pedagogical
Institute, Joe came to work as an announcer at the foreign language service of
Radio Moscow. In due time he became a top-class journalist. He had no holds
barred to him. He interviewed ambassadors, government ministers and top
officials of foreign states. For over 40 years had Joe hosted one of the most
popular programs with the Voice of Russia English language service ? Moscow
Mailbag. His profound knowledge, all-around education and versatile knack for
the English language helped Joe handle any questions, including tricky ones.

His keen sense of humor always enlivened his answers and appealed to his
listeners. Joe was frequently invited to visit overseas, where he gave lectures
and participated in popular talk-shows in the United States, Canada, Britain
and Australia. He was recognized by moguls of international journalism, such as
Walter Cronkite, Phil Donahue, Larry King.

Joe was also greatly respected in our office. Over many years of his service
with us he trained several generations of professional announcers, translators
and journalists. We will miss greatly his kind advice and instructions.

Joe Adamov has made a great contribution into this country?s foreign language
broadcasting and was bestowed multiple government awards. With millions of our
English-language listeners we mourn our dear Joe.
Copyright © 2000 The Voice of Russia (via DXLD)

I think if he died 5 years ago we would already have heard about it. Why put a
2000 © on it? Yes, our recollexions of Joe go back as far as we can remember on
Radio Moscow. Many of us got to meet him at an ANARC convention, or was it
Monitoring Times (Glenn Hauser, DXLD)

Here is another link which is dated 19 December 2005:
http://www.vor.ru/index_eng.phtml?act=6257
(Steve Lare, Holland, MI, USA, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Viz.:

He was known to foreign listeners as Joe. For them his voice was as magic as
the legendary baritone of Levitan for Russians. Joe Adamov was a top-notch
expert on Britain and had a perfect command of the English language. He worked
at the Voice of Russia radio for more than 60 years, and for many years he was
the author and the presenter of the Moscow Mail Bag, one of the most popular
programmes at the Voice of Russia. Adamov had many government awards (VOR via
DXLD)