Re: [Swprograms] CBC Radio One's new lineup

Re: [Swprograms] CBC Radio One's new lineup

> On 31/10/05, Richard Cuff <rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thanks to Kevin Kelly, he of the excellent
> > http://www.publicradiofan.com website, is a link to a blog by Tod
> > Maffin discussing the changes planned for Radio One next week:
> >
> > http://radio.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2005/10/28/1328758.html
>
> >From what Todd writes, it is more of the same garbage that we have
> been treated to in the afternoons. "The Roundup" was a waste, and this
> new show seems to follow in its footsteps. An extra half-hour for the
> afternoon drive show here in Toronto? Thanks but no thanks.
>
> However, the new news slots at 4 & 5 PM might be a good offering. I
> just hope that they last longer than the short-lived world newscast at
> 10 PM that was introduced last year. (Can't remember the name of it
> right now.)
>
> CBCR1 never fails to disappoint....
>
> 73,
> Peter Bowen
-------------
	and the official announcement
   Linkname: CBC Arts: CBC Radio One revamps afternoon programming
CBC Radio One revamps afternoon programming

   Last Updated Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:10:23 EST
   [22]CBC Arts
   [spacer.gif]

   CBC Radio One is planning changes to its afternoon schedule that will
   tailor the programming to different markets.

   Beginning Nov. 7, drive shows in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto will
   be extended to begin earlier, at 3 p.m. and a new national newscast
   will be added at 4 p.m.

                                               Jian Ghomeshi (file photo)

   There are also major changes coming in Radio One's national program
   schedule.

   A new half-hour daily program called The National Playlist, hosted by
   Jian Ghomeshi with Shelagh Rogers, will begin at 11:30 a.m.

   And The Roundup is being replaced by another laid-back conversation
   and music show called Freestyle.

   The changes in the late afternoon are being made to address the needs
   of commuters, says Jennifer McGuire, executive director of
   programming.

   "The four to six drive home is not a reality any more if you look at
   what is happening in those cities," she said, adding that there is
   "great potential" to reach listeners over a longer period in the late
   afternoon.

   CBC Radio One has already experimented in Toronto with a local
   afternoon show that begins at 3:30.

   "We'll be serving audience needs with a stronger news presence and
   programming that's related to what they do day-to-day," McGuire says.

   The longer afternoon show format may be extended to other markets in
   future, she says.

   A national newscast called The World This Hour, hosted by Marcia
   Williams, will give nine and a half minutes of news at 4 p.m. and 5
   p.m.

   The newscast replaces a shorter locally generated newscast at 4 p.m.
   and Canada at Five at 5 p.m.
   The changes in the national schedule involve new time slots for
   several programs, including Out Front, Madly Off in All Directions,
   WireTap and Global Village.

   But the most significant change to come in November is the revamping
   of the late morning and afternoon schedule, beginning at 11:30 with
   The National Playlist.

   The show will be a music-oriented program similar to Ghomeshi's
   popular 50 Tracks.

   Working with different guests each week, it will work out the answer
   to the question: What would be on your playlist if your iPod could
   only hold 10 tracks, and you could only change the songs once a week?

   Musicians, critics, politicians and celebrities will be invited to
   work out an ever-evolving playlist.

   Freestyle, which follows the noon hour programs, will be hosted by
   Kelly Ryan and Cameron Phillips out of Vancouver.

   Ryan is a Vancouver-based CBC news reporter and has been a radio host
   on local programs. Phillips is new as a host on CBC Radio, but has
   been a contributor to shows such as Go and DNTO.

   Freestyle will be a mix of music, conversation and guest appearances.
   It's being described as "an ongoing conversation about things that
   make the cut at the water cooler life, leisure and the newest trends."

   "These changes are about being more relevant to more people," McGuire
   says. "We've tailored the schedule to adjust to the needs of different
   markets."

   Tetsuro Shigematsu, who has been hosting The Roundup, will return to
  the CBC Radio newsroom in Vancouver.

   The Roundup's original host, Bill Richardson, will continue to host
   Canada Reads, and is currently developing a new program for CBC Radio.