[Swprograms] Role of public broadcasters

[Swprograms] Role of public broadcasters

I'd like to share this message from Tod Maffin, a locked-out CBC employee. It is
from his widely-viewed website "CBC Unplugged":
http://cbcunplugged.blogware.com/blog

"Public broadcasters need to rethink their model for content distribution.
"We Tell Stories. PERIOD.
"We do not ONLY make audio that goes out on transmitters. We can and should
continue to broadcast terrestrially, but we need to rethink our role as public
storytellers. We can tell the stories of our nation through radio, podcasts,
print, television, digital, and much more.
"We have been fixated on distribution in the last 30 years and that's a mistake.
We need to fixate on STORYTELLING and then use whatever means of distribution
are available. Distribution will always be there and will always reinvent
itself. We need to embrace everything that comes along from a technical
standpoint, but invest in investigative research and storytelling skills."

He's got a point, except that more means of distribution usually means higher
costs ... and what manager wants to hear that? Surely, there's a happy medium
somewhere. (Pun intended.)

Ricky Leong
Calgary, Alta.

--