Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

For that matter, the same goes for HDTV.

-----Original Message-----
From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Figliozzi
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 5:49 PM
To: softbulletin1@xxxxxxxxx; Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

Any technical problems aside, from what I understand only one (1)
manufacturer expects to have a receiver at what could be called
affordable consumer prices on the market by Christmas.  Inasmuch as
there was a module announced as available as early as last winter, it
really doesn't seem that manufacturers have been eager to "step up to
the plate", to invoke an American colloquialism.  One could observe
that DAB and DRM joined together to address these marketing problems
that each seem to share.

DRM and DAB (as well as IBOC) do not (yet?) seem to be driven by
consumer demand to any realistic extent.  In other words, consumers
largely seem content with what we're used already. The only digital
audio tranmission scheme that appears to be generating at least some
buzz is the satellite radio business in NA.  And the jury is still
out on that one too.

John Figliozzi

On Sep 10, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Mike Barraclough wrote:

> --- Scott Royall <royall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> That's nearly always the case, Bill. Still, I'm
>> surprised no one seems to
>> question the value of a technology so subject to
>> Nature's moods.
>>

> Check the reports in the drmrx forum and you will see
> problems with propagation reported particularly Sudden
> Ionespheric Disturbances/Shortwave Fadeouts which
> affect the lower shortwave bands most of European DRM
> is on. In the two more general UK radio forums most
> are not interested in buying a DRM Radio to listen to
> the RTL English service because it has been suffering
> drop outs because of poor propagation and SID'S.
>
> The BBC and Deutsche Welle have been experimenting
> with single frequency networks, using two transmitters
> on the same frequency with one operating slightly
> delayed from the other, and multiple frequency
> networks, where two frequencies are used for the same
> service and the receiver either selects one or the
> other or uses diversity reception to combine
> information from both.
>
> http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1689149,00.html
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp094.shtml
>
> Mike