Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

--- Scott Royall <royall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's nearly always the case, Bill. Still, I'm
> surprised no one seems to
> question the value of a technology so subject to
> Nature's moods.

Check the reports in the drmrx forum and you will see
problems with propagation reported particularly Sudden
Ionespheric Disturbances/Shortwave Fadeouts which
affect the lower shortwave bands most of European DRM
is on. In the two more general UK radio forums most
are not interested in buying a DRM Radio to listen to
the RTL English service because it has been suffering
drop outs because of poor propagation and SID'S.

The BBC and Deutsche Welle have been experimenting
with single frequency networks, using two transmitters
on the same frequency with one operating slightly
delayed from the other, and multiple frequency
networks, where two frequencies are used for the same
service and the receiver either selects one or the
other or uses diversity reception to combine
information from both.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1689149,00.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp094.shtml

Mike