	From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Bill B
	Sent: Sat 9/10/2005 2:00 PM
	To: Shortwave programming discussion
	Subject: Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

	John Figliozzi wrote:

	>I didn't say it made sense, but it is what they're doing in Europe
	>(e.g.: DW announced end of analog to Europe within next year;
	>replaced by DRM...  BBCWS committing to 18 hrs/day on DRM).  So, why
	>wouldn't they take the same approach here?  BBC has two hrs/day to NA
	>in DRM; none on analog.
	>
	>jaf
	>
	>On Sep 10, 2005, at 12:03 AM, Glenn Hauser wrote:
	>
	>
	>
	>>If BBC and DW don`t think it`s worth broadcasting to North America
	>>in English
	>>with the millions of analog SW radios in use, why would it be worth
	>>doing so to
	>>a few, if gradually increasing, DRM radios which would surely take
	>>a very long
	>>time to exceed the number of analog SW radios in use? Glenn Hauser
	>>
	>>--- John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
	>>
	>>
	>>
	>>
	>>>Bill:
	>>>
	>>>DW is already ramping up its service to Europe using DRM.  So--yes--I
	>>>think there's every chance they would do the same to NA once DRM is
	>>>officially rolled out here.
	>>>
	>>>John

	Personally Istill wonder if the smaller broadcasters such as Radio
	Romania, Voice of Turkey et al will follow suit and go to DRM; I sort of
	doubt it, and then we have the dilemna of DRM from large broadcasters
	doing a number on the stations still on analog. (Still imagine if
	Sackville goes digital and relays such as Radio Sweden on 6010 which
	blast innow  goes  to DRM- what a beautiful thought that is!)
	Something I keep forgetting to ask, can a station run less poweron DRM
	than needed now on analog to reach a target area?
	73s

	Bill

<<winmail.dat>>