Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

Glen,

Remember, to the BBC, people with analog shortwave radios
are just a bunch of hobbyists ....  we don't count.

The BBC will gladly pour millions of pounds sterling into a new
and slowly growing technology. The way I  understand it the
BBC counts its audience as those people listening on FM relays
during half hour periods of time multiplied by the 48 half hour
intervals during peak times across the planet. At least that's
what I understood from a "focus group" I was invited to attend
in Boston a number of years ago. That was back when the BBC
hinted that it was cutting back on shortwave services to
the Americas and heading for the internet and more FM relays.

Here it is a half dozen years later and it all came true. No more
SW to the Americas. We now have streaming on the internet, Satellite
stations, BBC America on cable & satellite, FM relays just about everywhere
in America (at peak times for half hour periods of time).

I'd bet the farm that the BBC embraces and invests heavily in DRM
and it's proprietary technology, better yet I bet the decision has
already been made.

jim strader
rock village, massachusetts, usa