Re: [Swprograms] RCI during strike/lockout

William Martin wrote:
> I was just over at the RCI website and I cannot find anything there that
> describes the programming changes that are in effect during the CBC
> labor troubles. I know that there were some mentions of changes in
> recent issues of DXLD, but I was hoping that there's be a comprehensive
> description of what replaces what. Is it there somewhere that I just
> missed?

I tried looking for it as well but have never found it. From the way I
understand the CBC, anything remotely related to a lockout or strike in another
part of the corp. is done by management, not by unionized staff. I presume that
posting special schedules on its website would fall under that category, and
that might explain why there aren't any such schedules.

> This morning (Saturday the 3rd), I tuned in late to what usually was
> Vinyl Cafe' and it was something different but still music-oriented (never
> did catch just what it was, tho).

Probably "Simply Sean" with comedian Sean Cullen, from previous reports.

> But what was really odd was that there
> were announcements before both the following newscast and then
> Quirks & Quarks something like "due to labor action, the
> previously-scheduled program is being replaced by the following program."
 > But then they aired what WAS scheduled (a 5-min newscast and a Q&Q repeat)!

Luck of the draw. I guess it's too much trouble for RCI to provide specific
continuity announcements, as is being done on CBC Radio One.

> I'm wondering if SciTech File will be on at its regular time; I wasn't able
> to check for it Friday since I was away from a radio then.

That shouldn't be a problem: RCI is not directly affected by the lockout.

Ricky Leong
Calgary, Alta.

--
The whistle shrill still lingers on