From: Ori Siegel <ori.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Aug 26, 2005 11:25 PM
Subject: [ODXA] DX Listening Digest reporting of CBC lockout
To: odxa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a CBC employee of long standing, it is very refreshing to see reporting
of events in the non-judgemental style with which Glenn Hauser presents the
issues.  Thank you, Glenn, for just reporting all sides of the issue without
comment.  I highly urge all radio enthusiasts to read DXLD.

I will be one (of certainly many) to make editorial comments and you no
doubt know where I stand on this.  If you don't, then it will become
abundantly clear in a moment or two.

The CBC's position is presented in one of their many self-felating press
releases and, speaking as a person who has never been a strong union man, I
have rarely read such disingenuous claptrap.  The CBC's timetable has been
as predictable as the tide's rise and fall, and many of us knew months ago,
to the exact day, when we would be locked out.  Taking the holier-than-thou
position that they DIDN'T want this to happen, you should know that they
took their shots at the first possible opportunities.

The first big shot came earlier this summer when the CBC suddenly called in
federal mediation while both sides were actively bargaining.  The clock
began running at that moment.  True to form, the CBC gave their 72-hour
notice of a lockout at the very first opportunity to do so.  So much for the
lie that they were interested in negotiating.  At one minute past midnight
on Monday August 15, they pulled the plug.

On day one, Arnold Amber of the Canadian Media Guild, in his address to the
assembled picketers outside the CBC's Toronto headquarters made it clear
that the Guild was prepared to go back to the table at any moment the CBC
was prepared to pick up the talks.  The CBC is apparently willing to come
back to the table but only on the precondition that the main stumbling
points of the contract talks are conceded by the union BEFORE the resumption
of "negotiations."  So much for meaningful bargaining.  It's been like this
for 15 months.

So why are 5500 employees out on the street while the majority of CBC's
bloated management sits on their thumbs with little to do inside other than
counting their hefty salaries?  Damned good question.  Are they suggesting
that future management hiring will be done on the same basis upon which they
wish to treat the rest of the staff, that is to say as temporaries and
casuals?  Yeah, right.  And to our management/supervisory colleagues who are
members of APS (Association of Professionals and Supervisors), perhaps they
ought to consider how long the CBC is going to be willing to keep them
around doing nothing while the people they supervise are all on the street.
At some point, our "cost-conscious" leadership is going to figure on saving
another bundle by having their jobs put on standby.  Well, not likely.  If
nothing else, CBC management takes care of its own.

I do not approve of vulgarity in postings to a group such as this one, or
any other for that matter.  But I'm sorry, and at the risk of offending
people I truly respect, I can honestly say that I've never read so much
bullshit as I have when reading the CBC's screeds.

It is up to CBC's listeners and viewers, those that are left, to hound their
MPs in order to pressure the CBC to return to the table with a mind toward
conducting REAL negotiations, and not continue the ersatz pap of a dictat
that they've been spewing so far.

I'm going to bed.

Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW