[Swprograms] An American's Plea to the CBC

[Swprograms] An American's Plea to the CBC

an article by Christopher Key in the (generally excellent) on-line magazine
the Tyee is a plea for the CBC to return to pre-lockout standards:

http://www.thetyee.ca/Views/2005/08/21/AmericanPlea/

excerpt:

My radio has been locked for years on CBC Radio Two. There is no station on
this side of the border that offers anything like it. There's a classical
station in Seattle, but they don't play jazz. There's a jazz station in
Tacoma, but they don't play world music.

Radio Two not only offers me all of that, but I get a lot of news that goes
unreported by the solipsistic US press.

Yes, Vinyl Cafà is a blatant ripoff of A Prairie Home Companion. It's so
well done, however, that even Garrison Keillor probably listens. The
character who does the CD reviews on Sound Advice is insufferably
pretentious. That's about all I can find to complain about.

Shelley Solmes delightful presence on Here's To You is indicative of the
Ceeb's popularity south of the border. Requests from listeners in the US are
played nearly every day. Jurgen Gothe's Disc Drive is a merry pastiche of
music from many genres that is a staple of my afternoon listening. Would
that Jurgen were as visible a Canadian icon as Don Cherry. Danielle
Charbonneau of Music for a While has the sexiest voice in the known
universe. I'd listen to her if she played Christian hip-hop.