Re: [Swprograms] European MW broadcaster sites

Re: [Swprograms] European MW broadcaster sites

Richard provided this list of factors:

> That is a very loaded question, based on at least six factors:
>
> -- daytime vs. nighttime propagation,
> -- how an antenna is designed to emphasize skywave vs. ground
wave
> propagation,
> -- ground conductivity near the transmitter
> -- interference from other stations
> -- Amount of water between transmitter and listener
> -- Directionality of antenna pattern

Good list, but you missed one:
-- Frequency

The lower the frequency, the further the groundwave signal will
carry, irregardless of all other factors.  Those clear channel
(or not so clear channel) MW stations in the lower portion of
the band (e.g., 580, 600, 780, even 830 khz) will propagate
their daytime signal further than an equally powered station at
the upper end of the band (e.g., 1230, etc.) assuming all other
factors being equal.

That is one of the reasons why the "local" stations for
daytimers, etc., are clustered in the upper frequencies - using
this fact of groundwave propagation to naturally help to enforce
their "local" nature.  And why a midwestern station such as WNAX
in Yankton, SD, at 570 kHz can put out such a good signal
(although ground conductivity helps as well <grin>).

My sense, although I have not been to Europe in a long time, is
that the "strong" stations were/are also at the lower end of the
MW band.

Kevin Anderson
Dubuque, IA

--