[Swprograms] CBC News - STRIKE VOTE AT CBC 87 PER CENT

[Swprograms] CBC News - STRIKE VOTE AT CBC 87 PER CENT

This email has been sent to you by atlsvo@xxxxxxxxx
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
STRIKE VOTE AT CBC 87 PER CENT
WebPosted Tue Jul 19 17:29:58 2005

--- The CBC's largest union has voted overwhelmingly in favour of a
strike if its negotiators can't get a deal with the corporation.

        The Canadian Media Guild (CMG) announced Tuesday afternoon that
        its members had voted 87.3 per cent to support taking strike
        action, if necessary.

        The union said 67 per cent of employees turned out to vote.

        The CMG represents about 5,500 technicians, journalists and
        administrative staff in most parts of Canada, except the province
        of Quebec and the city of Moncton, N.B.

        "This is very strong support for the Guild and a flat rejection
        of the corporation's vision of the future," the union's CBC
        branch president, Arnold Amber, said in a news release.

"Most voters agreed with our vision of the future," said chief
negotiator Dan Oldfield. "Ongoing work must be performed by permanent
employees &#8230."

        The union says the main issue continues to be the CBC's
        insistence on a new contract that will allow it to hire most new
        employees on a casual basis.

        Contracting out, employees' right to reassignment in the event of
        downsizing and compensation for overtime are other key issues
        that remain unresolved.

In a statement to employees the CBC's chief negotiator said the vote
result was not unexpected and that they shouldn't assume it will
inevitably lead to a labour disruption.

"None of us want a strike or lockout because the impact would be bad for
our audiences, our employees, our programming, and for our reputation,"
said Michelle Sparling.

        "We are committed to reaching a negotiated settlement &#8230,"
        said Sparling. "The time for rhetoric and posturing is over. It's
        time to get serious and conclude a negotiated deal."

        The two sides have resumed bargaining.

        The earliest date for a strike or a lockout would be Aug. 15.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.