Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] What do you listen to from America's "non-public"SW broadcasters?

I like hearing Unshackled on WYFR. This show is an authentic throwback
to the days of commercial radio drama. It's been airing since 1951, and
the Pacific Garden Mission started the program as a way to reach a
commercial radio audience. I believe it was initially aired live on
WGN. The program was started by professional radio drama actors, and
after some early mishaps with Christian non-actors playing certain
roles, PGM has made it a point of pride to use professional actors
regardless of their belief. They have quite a pool of actors to draw
from for the weekly Saturday tapings, many of whom are regulars of the
Chicago theater scene.

Other highlights of the show include live music cues played by a
rotating team of two organists, a live sound effects man, and some
staff members that have been around for almost the whole run. I was
fortunate to attend a performance about four years ago, and it was a
very memorable experience, and I was well treated by the Unshackled
team.