[Swprograms] Spoken Word on Satellite

Yes, I admit that my wish for more spoken-work programming on the new
satellite channels is a bit idealistic, but you can't blame one for
dreaming.

What I am hoping for is at least one channel that provides spoken-word
content from wherever. Similar to what happens with CBC Radio
Overnight, but on a 24-hours basis. It would be easy to have CBC stuff
fill the Canadian content, and then get other programmes to fill out
the rest of the sked. This is the type of channel that the CBC should
be doing--something different, something unique, something that
listeners cannot obtain from any other source. Isn't that what public
radio is for, after all??

Considering the popularity of the CBC Radio Overnight service, I think
that there may be demand for such a channel via satellite. People
might even pay for it. I won't say that it will be wildly popular, but
there is likely a demand for it.

73,
pb