Re: [Swprograms] Trojan horses (link corrected)

Re: [Swprograms] Trojan horses (link corrected)

Well, you make some excellent points here.  And we haven't made a
distinction between BBC domestic and external services and that would
certainly introduce its own dynamic to this conversation.

But isn't the proof of the pudding in the eating?  Let's take news.
There was a time when the BBC would have (and rightfully) totally
ignored a storyline like the Michael Jackson trial.  At times it has
positively reveled in it!  There are numerous other examples of this
preoccupation with the trivial.  That, to me, is a commercially-
induced reaction.  Other examples can flow from there.  Let's take
World Service programming which is increasingly being given over to
news at the expense of creative program features.  It is said this is
done because news is the BBC's most marketable product.  Is that not a
commercial reaction?  The BBC's own rhetoric continuously talks about
competition, return on investment, and service to "customers" and
other such things in a manner that puts you in the mind that they are
talking about a business, not a public service.  BBC Worldwide--which
is now on the auction list--was clearly

I am--perhaps--to old fashioned in my preferences.  But I am not a
cave-dweller.  I've embraced many of the new tools.  However, I do
perceive an active diminution in depth, scope and quality in the World
Service's offerings at least.  I think anyone making an honest
assessment of the BBC now vs. the BBC a few years ago would have to
admit that they see this too.

Finally, I agree that sweeping generalizations are not helpful.  In
the sense that I am speaking, I'm not necessarily using "commercial"
as an overall pejorative term--just perjorative in the sense that it
is injurious and inconsistent with a public service remit.  It
certainly is useful to have other perspectives in play to avoid a
certain incestuous stagnation.  And, yes, some market principles
applied in this environment can be useful in reducing waste and
excess.  But, in my view, it has not been a useful mix of perspectives
that have been at play here recently; rather, an almost wholesale
supplanting of one orientation for another.

John Figliozzi