Re: [Swprograms] Promo of Channel 6 (U.S.) as low end FM band

Re: [Swprograms] Promo of Channel 6 (U.S.) as low end FM band

Steve, et al., I guess you haven`t seen the following in WTFDA or DXLD 5-086.
As for offsets, those on channel 6 have nothing to do with offsets on channel
5. Five could be plus, six could be minus, no problem. Offsets are to lessen
co-channel interference on the same channel among stations adjacent
geographically. I suspect this subject is more OT than usual for this list, hi.
73, Glenn Hauser

** U S A. Re: [WTFDA] Odd? FM audio on TV6

``WNYZ-LP Channel 6 in NYC is broadcasting their audio using FM width
modulation and a FM stereo generator. This is the first time I have ever caught
this combination. They are actively trying to promote this operation  as a FM
and TV dualcast. Does the FCC care? (Karl J. Zuk)``

Strangely enough, this might be legal.....

73.1570 limits full-power stations to aural modulation that doesn't
"...exceed 100% on peaks of frequent recurrence,..." then defines 100%
as +/-25 kHz.  FM modulation is +/-75 kHz, or 300% by TV definitions.  [0 =
note below]

74.790 is a list of the full-power regulations that also apply to low-power
stations. 73.1570 is NOT on this list!

``Will TV sets be forgiving enough to decode FM stereo as TV stereo? (probably
not).``

I would be quite sure TV sets will NOT decode this as TV stereo. The
pilot frequency is different -- 15.734 kHz for TV, vs. 19 kHz for FM.   If the
TV set doesn't see a 15.734 kHz pilot it won't turn the stereo
decoder on.

Even if it did, the TV set contains a DBX volume expander in the L-R
channel. It would attempt to expand the non-compressed FM L-R signal,
completely screwing up the separation (among other serious problems)
--
[0] Strangely, it also says "...unless some other peak modulation level is
specified in an instrument of authorization.", suggesting that the FCC might