Re: [Swprograms] Promo of Channel 6 (U.S.) as low end FM band

Re: [Swprograms] Promo of Channel 6 (U.S.) as low end FM band

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the standard for the TV stereo system a
15.575kHz pilot, the same as the NTSC video horizontal lock pulse/blanking?
Channel 6 is using the FM Stereo standard (19kHz pilot) since it is locking
FM Stereo in on FM tuners.  It is a shoutcut to having an FM station and a
TV station with one license.  How legal it is to use a different standard is
questionable.

We actually did some testing today from a Queens location and found that the
stereo lit when the receiver  tuned in 87.8 Mhz.  Channel 6 audio is
supposed to be at 87.75MHz, either exactly or assigned a +/- 10khz offset
for the entire channel to lessen cochannel interference.  WNYZ-LP is Plus
offset which explained why 87.8 was a better tune.  It is unlikely that the
station will be reassigned a Minus offset, channel 5 is a Plus offset and
that would technically be adjacent channel interference.

Tomorrow we're setting the rotator for the TV back up and will check out the
visual.  Where I live off the side of the beam there is hardly anything we
can get of channel 6.  There is too much splash from channel 5's audio.

-Steve