Re: [Swprograms] What Your Home Page or Starting Portal (Is It a Radio Page)?

c Copeland wrote:

> What "Homepage" or Portal Page do you Usually log onto? (ie what page
> does your browser open when you 1st go on line?)

Mine is http://ca.my.yahoo.com/
It allows you to customize what you want in it. (Specific news topics and
"survival" features, like the weather, stock markets, Yahoo! maps, etc...)
Of course, Yahoo! News includes reports from all media.

> (snip) What got me thinking about all this this was a recent speech to
> editors Washington by newspaper (The Times & Sun in the U.K. & other
> media) mogul Rupert Murdock.
> He uses the distinction between 'digital immigrants' (the over 40 crowd)
> & 'digital natives.' [Whether digital natives will ever embrace shortwave (short of the
> internet infrastruce being destroyed) is a frequent topic in the SW
> hobby--including SW Programs).
> Murdoch suggests (not new but signifucant coming from him) that
> newspapers need to fight to become their readers' Hiome Page or Portal. (...)

This is not a relevant competition. Why the importance of being the first page
to appear on someone's Web browser? I regularly visit about six news sites every
day, and a drop in on a few more when it pleases me or when I have the time.
Obviously, not all of them can be my home page.
If Murdoch really means newspapers need to fight to get young eyeball off their
computer screens and onto paper, why not offer "electronic editions" where the
whole paper is sold online in a PDF file or in some other kind of graphical
format? Many newspapers now offer that service, with newsprint-haters,
expatriates and other out-of-town subscribers in mind.
I also think any comparison to international shortwave is inappropriate here:
most newspapers in the Western world are commercial organizations whose sole
motive (journalism aside) is to generate a profit. These organizations are free
to choose the most efficient mode of delivery to generate said profit. (Here's
the shocker: paperless newspapers within the next century, anyone?) In contrast,
public-service international broadcasters should use an many modes of delivery
as feasible to deliver their service -- unlike private entities, they should not
be driven by demographic or commercial imperatives.
Will shortwave ever be embraced by the under 40 crowd? Forget the mode of
delivery debate (analog vs. DRM vs. Internet streaming). Also forget the
demographic debate. Give people something they want to hear and they might
actively SEEKING it, no matter how old they are.
If I had begun my SWL hobby now rather than in the mid 1990s, I might not have
stuck around. The vast majority of what you hear on the dial now, in English, is
coming from Bible-thumping private U.S. outlets, something I wouldn't normally
tune into, no matter how you deliver it to me.

Ricky Leong
Calgary, Alta.

--
The whistle shrill still lingers on