Re: [Swprograms] RA Previews #802 and ANZAC Day

Re: [Swprograms] RA Previews #802 and ANZAC Day

Roger Broadbent was kind enough to send along these program schedule
updates dealing wtih the ANZAC Day remembrances and the station's
coverage of same.  The ABC web site also has a treasury of information
about this important Aussie and Kiwi holiday. Refer to
<abc.net.au/news/indepth/anzac/>.

John Figliozzi

Begin forwarded message:

> Sunday
> 1928-2000 UT		Dawn Ceremony of Remembrance live from Canberra
>
> Monday
> 0210 UT			Replacing The World Today:
> 				ANZAC Memories (info attached)
>
> 0810 UT			PM is only 20 minutes on Monday
>
> 0830 UT			Verbatim - a special ANZAC edition (info attached)

Details:

ANZAC DAY

Dawn Ceremony of Remembrance from the Australian War memorial in
Canberra.

ANZAC Memories
First broadcast in July last year to mark the 90th anniversary of the
outbreak of
the Great War this is a programme about war, survival, memory and
remembering.
While the men who provided the very foundation for ANZAC Day, our
national day of mourning, are no longer alive the legend that sprang
out of the war-time experience
seems to have been embraced with greater vigour than ever. This is a
timely reflection on the individual experience of fighting in a war and
of surviving and living with the memories of that experience in the
shadow of a powerful national legend.

Twenty years ago, when many of the surviving diggers were well into
their 80s, oral historian Alastair Thompson interviewed a number of
diggers from some old working class suburbs of Melbourne. He then wrote
the book ‘ANZAC Memories’ which explores how the experiences of
returned servicemen match up with the official story
of ANZAC, how these men came to terms with their time in the war, and
the ways in which, over the years, they came to understand and shape a
story of their war experience, a story that each of them could live
with.

This is a radio adaptation of some of the interviews recorded by
Alastair Thompson.

Verbatim
This is an intimate perspective of the Australian soldiers taken
prisoner by the Japanese after the fall of Singapore. The late Don
McLaren was just 19 years old when his AIF Group, the 8th Division
Salvage Unit, surrendered to the Japanese and was later sent to Changi.
It was at this now infamous POW camp that Don began to keep a diary,
dangerous as this was and against the advice of his mates and
superiors. And right throughout the three years of his incarceration
Don kept writing in his small scrappy note pad, recording the deaths,
the horror of sickness, the despair but also the boredom, the humour
and the capacity to endure, even to find some empathy for the enemy. In
1997 Don Published his diary, ‘Mates in Hell’. In this programme we
hear, through his own words, Don McLaren’s account of his time in
Changi and on the Burma railway.