Re: [Swprograms] New Direct To Home TV Satellite

Re: [Swprograms] New Direct To Home TV Satellite

Joe wrote "It sounds like we will have in two years a satellite capable of
broadcasting TV direct-to-home from a location over the mid-Atlantic Ocean.
It should be visibile from North America, Africa, South America and Europe
leading one to suspect it may be used by international broadcasters to
bypass local gatekeepers."

It's by no means the first in that type of position.

For example Telstar 12 http://www.lyngsat.com/t12.html at 15w could be used
for that purpose. Sadly fixed dishes are much cheaper than motorised systems
and people usually point their dish at a spot with lots of attractive
content.

That satellite also illustrates well the problem of a mid Atlantic location.
In the Americas the satellite is at a very low elevation and much further
west than the US East coast it is unusable.

It's rather better for broadcasting from the East coast of the US to Europe
& Africa but it still would not be my choice for a direct to home service.

These less well known satellites do, however, provide opportunities for the
satellite equivalent of DX listening.

Mark Hawkins