[Swprograms] Religious Programming

In the midst of the ongoing cutbacks of shortwave, and the ensuing
debates someone usually sez in despair: "If this keeps up, all we'll
have left are the Bible thumpers."

I don't think that this is particularly the way things will go, but why
are religious broadcasters sticking with shortwave when others are not.
Is it the sheer reach of the medium, and the resistance to jamming etc?
Does shortwave religious broadcasting make for a good cause in terms of
raising money from religious but non-shortwave listening donors.

On a personal note: As a listener, I find religious programming
sometimes compelling, particularly the call to prayer on middle eastern
stations, and gospel music/gospel oriented ethnic music on other
stations like the Voice or AWR. Also, through listening to Family radio
and others, I've become familiar with names like James Dobson, Focus on
the Family, or Terry Schiavo months or years before they poke into
mainstream consciousness.

And I admit to a secret love for Unshackled, the weekly (since the
early 50's) radio drama from the Pacific Garden Mission that airs (or
aired) on WYFR and also domestic stations. In the US, Unshackled is the
only existing radio drama to survive from the "Golden Age of Radio."