Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

But if you recall the news story about the coming end of Westway, it
described the program as critically acclaimed, as well as popular.
That can be a pretty rare combo.  To reiterate, "popular" and
"well-crafted" are not mutually exclusive adjectives.  So, to that
extent, I disagree with your description of "we critics".  I don't
think we're talking out of both sides of our mouths.  Too often (in
both commercial and public interest applications), popular is the only
thing that matters.  In this instance, both popular and well-crafted
were not enough to save it.  One throws their hands up and shouts,
"What's the standard then?"

And, to be honest, yes...I did denigrate the program when it first
appeared.  But either it was always intended and I didn't know it, or
it grew, to become a vehicle for education about AIDS, hate-mongering,
multicultural issues, and other important topics.  So, mea culpa, mea
culpa, mea maxima culpa....  <g>

As to the cost of maintaining the streams, it may not be all that much
in the scheme of things; but neither would maintaining minimal
shortwave coverage to all regions.  What was it they saved to NA?
L300,000 per annum?  Dropping the streams approach would have paid for
adverts to Arabs too.

Priorities, priorities...  I guess that's what we're really discussing
here.

John Figliozzi