Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

Well, I'm just getting a little confused about what the standards are.
I know you had the "sarcasm" flow on there, but many a things are said
in jest that are meant in earnest.  I never said that popularity
couldn't be a measure for a public service broadcaster; just that it
shouldn't be the only one (or always the most important one).

I know what the intent of the multiple streams concept was, but if you
examine the schedules of each you'll find very little real difference
among them.  Only the Africa streams have a few localized programs.
Rather than creating whole ersatz feeds for each region which had to
have been costly to create and are costly to maintain, a modular
approach which they had used for some time successfully could have been
continued.

My beef?  Style over substance.  It's mostly smoke and mirrors.  BBC
still pretends to be offering a World Service by not acknowledging
anywhere that a particular feed is what it is.  Its pretense is that
this is a unified service for everyone, when it is not structured that
way any longer.  If you want streams, then identify them as such to
your listeners.  If you want to be known as a world service, maintain
the cohesion.  You can't have both and maintain credibility for either.

It was an affectation.  It's outlived its usefulness, if indeed there
ever was one.  That may offend the "marketing" side of you, but that's
how I see it.  That's my beef.  :-))

John Figliozzi