[Swprograms] Re: Incredible Arrogance

I think Richard has given an excellent analysis of why we are where we
are.  Let me just add that I personally have no argument with the bulk
of what the BBC (and other international broadcasters who are still
international broadcasters) are attempting to do vis-a-vis the new
distribution technologies.  They should be actively involved in all of
them and seeking the best way to leverage them primarily for the
benefit of their audiences.

But analog shortwave is STILL one of them--throughout the world,
including NA, Europe and Australasia.  By virtue of the fact that there
are today more than one distribution method available, of course the
use of what was once the sole distribution method is going to decline.
It is simply a matter of perception as to whether this connotes a real
decline in the usefulness of the medium or simply represents a divvying
up of the available audience according to the most convenient and
accessible medium given the individual circumstances of the individual
listener at a particular point in time.

My objection to the BBC's approach is four-fold:

1.  They are dishonest about the continued utility of shortwave (at
least in the short term) in developed regions.
2.  They use their proprietary hold over their research to justify
after the fact what they've already decided on with regard to
distribution policy.  Selective releases of such information are
inherently dishonest.
3.  They are behaving as a private commercial business would (and
incidentally would be justified in doing so if that's what their
Charter said they were), and in so doing have run roughshod over the
public service broadcasting principles on which they were founded, have
operated under for decades and are still ostensibly committed to as
stated in their Charter.  In other words, they've turned their back on
the very principles that hoisted them on the pedestal they currently
(still mostly, despite it all) operate from.  (FWIW, I think we can see
signs that the plaster is starting to crumble beneath them.)
4.  They are using their respected position, earned as the primary
creator of and consistent devotee to public service broadcasting
principles, to drive an agenda that bows mightily to commercial
broadcasting imperatives.  That, too, is dishonest.

There were warnings that the BBC's hiring of (what I termed at the
time) "commercial broadcasting denizens" to manage a Corporation that
represented the pinnacle of what a public service broadcaster aspires
to be, would result in the wholesale destruction of that ideal.  It's a
pity that no one heeded those warnings.  It's a further pity that many
who hold positions of responsibility and consultancy in the field today
either fail or are blind to the implications of what at this point must
be seen as a near fait accompli.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY