[Swprograms] The cutting of radio before when we may actually need it the most

[Swprograms] The cutting of radio before when we may actually need it the most

It almost slipped by - that is the reference in Glenn's latest
DXLD about Radio Egypt reducing is language coverage as reported
by Kim Andrew Elliott(at least it wasn't a outright shutdown of
external broadcasting) down to just two for the external
service.

What popped in my mind was once again something that I've been
studying (and worrying about, to be honest) for sometime now -
the changes coming as we have reached peak oil production and
the slippery slope that is ahead.  I've written a few comments
on this on my Hamblog site (e.g., see
http://www.hamblog.com/blog_k9iua.php?p=494&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1,
followed by
http://www.hamblog.com/blog_k9iua.php?p=511&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1).

[In short, anticipate oil and petroleum products to get very
expensive quickly and less available, followed quickly by
natural gas, with the production of electricity to become
unstable with blackouts, problems with transportation and other
production, particulary food production (as food production =
oil these days) and in short a major change in how life as we
know won't be able to continue, including major loss of life
everywhere as we need to adjust back closer to the carrying
capacity of the earth without petroleum and technology.]

The point of my post now (hence the title) is that this is a
future where, if we want global news, we will need to rely on
radio and not the computer or internet.  The simpler technology
will be what survives and is maintainable.  I just hope the
major international broadcasters will be able to step back up to
the plate, refurbish transmitters (senders) and antenna arrays,
and give us the news we will need.

Sorry if I strayed too far off the general topic of this list
for most of your liking...(but actually the BBC World Service
has had a number of programmes lately that have focused on oil
production and many of the aspects of my post).

Kevin
Dubuque, Iowa, USA

=====