[Swprograms] Re: Here to anywhere failure

[Swprograms] Re: Here to anywhere failure

Last March I decided to give satelitte radio a shot.  I did some checking
and finally settled on the Kenwood model, Here to Anywhere.  This model can
be used in the home as well as the car.  I  recently saw a review in MT
about satellite receivers in which the author would not do the review on
this unit do to the failure he had with his. Mine finally bit the dust and I
scrambled looking for the warrenty card.  Unit was totally dead, no screen
display and the fuse was good.

I was a bit upset as I had visions of this thing not getting repaired and it
taking months to get it back.  So I bit the the bullet and decided to open
it up.  Most modern electronics seem to fail due to external problems such
as connectors or physical abuse and not componet failure.  If one takes his
time and removes the 4 screws from the bottom and slowly prys the covers off
you will be able to gain access to the pcb's.  On the leading or front edge
of each of the half clam shells, you will note there are vertical plastic
tabs locking the front panel to the top and bottom covers.  Gently slide a
flat screw driver to the front and push the top and bottom covers off in a
vertical motion. Take your time as you don't want to break the plastic pins.
I found that the unit is comprised of two pcb's, one the front switch panel
and the mother board.  I am uncertain which was the real fix but by
unpluging the front pcb from the mother board and reseating, repaired the
unit.  It may have been coming loose, not really sure.

I am guessing that my use of the unit in the vehicle with bouncing and humid
and hot and cold changes and transfers from vehicle to home may have caused
the problem.  The multi-pin socket is gold coated but still may have become
dirty or come loose.  The connector is directly behind the on/off switch.

Works great now and happy to have it back in use.
Bob Montgomery
Levittown, PA USA