Re: [Swprograms] OT: FCC Issues BPL Rules

At 08:04 PM 10/14/04 -0400, maryanne kehoe wrote:

>Joe, one thing that concerns me is that the two presidential candidates
>in this country have *not* even approached the discussion of FCC
>funding. I would think that if the budget was cut in certain areas, then
>the BPL issue would be close to dead in the water, no?

I do not follow your reasoning.  BPL will not need much regulatory oversight unless it causes harmful interference.  The FCC will be the judge of what is harmful and can set the bar as high or low as it wants.  The FCC is following what they believe is a congressional mandate to encourage the deployment of broadband technology.  The FCC sees BPL as a competitor to DSL and cable TV broadband.  The greater the competition, the less the need for regulations on pricing and the less the FCC has to be involved in day-to-day oversight.  The less the oversight, the lower the FCC budget can be while still accomplishing the FCC's direction to implement the congressional will.  I do not see FCC funding as even being a fuzzy blip on the political RADAR screen when there are so many more important issues at hand, like the USA's survival as a viable leader in the international community for example.

>I have only seen miniscule comments from a Bush website about funding in
>regards to Radio Free Asia, the Office of Cuba Broadcasting and assorted
>entities.

Somebody once said actions speak louder than words.  I do not believe the level of funding of propaganda broadcasts matters to the voters in the upcoming election or to the success of the USA's foreign policy for that matter.  As long as the USA continues to demonstrate by its actions its contempt for the opinions of those who do not agree with US government policy, then no amount of propaganda is going to change anyone's mind about this country.

Joe Buch