[Swprograms] As It Happens, er um what was the electricity utility in NYC in 1824?

[Swprograms] As It Happens, er um what was the electricity utility in NYC in 1824?

As It Happens, on Wednesday, had a story in which they claimed that
Con Edison had been New York's main electrical provider for almost 180
years.

Certainly, Con Edison (and its predecessors) is about as old as any
supplier of electricity. Many years ago, it used to put up signs
showing Father Knickerbocker dressed in overalls at
maintenance/construction sites. ("Dig We Must for a Greater New
York.") While it DOES go back to Thomas Edison, I don't think it quite
goes back to Washington Irving.