Re: [Swprograms] Comprehensive guide to programs

Re: [Swprograms] Comprehensive guide to programs

Hi, Steve -- welcome to the list!

Glenn Hauser's "World Of Radio" site has a collection of interesting
programs available via FM, webcast, and shortwave -- see the "Monitoring
Calendar" listing, http://www.worldofradio.com/calendar.html.

You can tell the shortwave listings by the frequency citations, but you
should check the frequencies against a current list -- e.g. Daniel Sampson's
"Prime Time Shortwave" site, http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/ -- because I
believe Glenn last did a major update on this list back in June 2003, and
there are likely some out-of-date frequencies there.  Note that most of the
programs listed at Glenn's site are US and British public radio -- very good
radio, but not shortwave radio.

My good friend John Figliozzi (egad, a mutual admiration society...) forgot
to mention a database he helped put together at the NASWA website, called
the Worldwide Shortwave Listening Guide -- see
http://anarc.org/naswa/swlguide/.  This may be handy too.

Another useful site -- more so for overall public radio but still with
relevance to shortwave and the webcasts of shortwave broadcasters -- is
Kevin Kelly's "Webby"-nominated Public Radio Fan website,
http://www.publicradiofan.com/.

Another shortwave organization with advance program information is the
Ontario DX Association (ODXA); Fred Waterer, who prepares the "Programming
Matters" column each month, is a member of this e-mail list too.  The ODXA
website, where you can dig up more info, is http://www.odxa.on.ca/.

Steve, if you hang out here you'll see notes regarding interesting upcoming
programing as well -- John prepares biweekly summaries on advance
programming on Radio Australia, and weekly summaries on Radio New Zealand
International.  Both of these broadcasters generally produce high quality
programming covering interesting subjects.

Joe Buch passes along some interesting suggestions regarding Radio Canada
International to this list; Maryanne Kehoe does the same for the Voice of
Russia; Jim LeQuesne mentions some interesting upcoming programming for
China Radio International.

You'll generally find this group a civilized and enthusiastic bunch -- more
so than a lot of Internet based discussion groups.  Feel free to ask
questions if something you see here doesn't make sense.

Welcome to shortwave listening -- you'll find a lot more on the shortwaves
than your local AM or FM dial...

As far as my own personal favorites go, here are my "don't miss" programs:

"From Our Own Correspondent", BBC World Service

"Analysis", BBC World Service

"As It Happens", CBC / Radio Canada International

"Background Briefing", Radio Australia

"Dutch Horizons", Radio Netherlands

"Living in Germany", Deutsche Welle (hard to hear via shortwave...)

"Newslink", Deutsche Welle (again, hard to hear via shortwave...)

Most offerings from Radio Prague, Radio Vlaanderen International (Belgium)
and  Radio Sweden are well-crafted.

I listen to Kol Israel for their perspectives on the middle east -- the
broadcast we here on shortwave is also earmarked for their domestic
English-speaking audience; when one can hear them, UAE Radio in Dubai offers
a different perspective on that region.

Hope this helps...

Richard---
Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA