Re: [Swprograms] BPL: Seattle Times article, etc.

At 11:14 AM 6/15/04 -0700, Kevin Anderson wrote:

>But what about international broadcasting frequencies?  Do we
>have known SWLs in or visiting these test site areas (Penn Yan,
>NY, Manassas, VA, South Carolina, and now the state of
>Washington) who are also listening for interference?  If so, I
>haven't heard them mentioned anywhere or have seen any
>interference reports to the FCC yet from shortwave listeners.
>
>Amy I missing something?  Are there any other groups actively
>trying to do something besides the ham radio operators?  I would
>hope so...

NASWA has filed comments during the NOI and NPRM phases of the FCC process.  NPRM reply comments will be filed on June 22.  As far as I know, no SWL's have reported interference to the FCC nor have any expeditions been launched to current test sites to measure the level of SWBC interference except for those reported by Ed Hare of ARRL.  ARRL, with hundreds of thousands of members, has the economic and technical resources to fund such tests.  NASWA does not.

Would you, as an SWL, know a BPL signal if you heard one?  I venture to speculate that most SWL's would not.  They would just shut off their radios and do something else.

In my opinion SWL's have always been a passive lot.  NASWA has only about 1000 members out of the millions of people who own shortwave radios in North America.  While NASWA members are pretty well informed on the BPL issue and some have filed their own comments with the FCC echoing NASWA's official concerns, the millions of casual listeners out there have not and are probably not aware of the threat.

Most SWL's are content to let somebody else do it.  They do not correspond with broadcasters; they do not belong to active clubs; they turn off their radios if they encounter interference.  They also sit and wonder why they don't hear as much on SW these days as they did a decade ago.

Joe Buch