[Swprograms] BIG BEN GOES ON STRIKE!

According to an interview heard on Radio 4 on Friday evening, a fault has developed with Big Ben, which means that the quarter-hour chimes are currently out of action.  The hourly strike continues as normal, and we are in the position we were in back in 1976, when the chimes were out of action for 9 months.  At that time Radio 4 continued to broadcast the hourly strikes at times when Big Ben was scheduled to air.  However, at 2300 on 30 April the Time Signal was used instead of Big Ben.

I believe the Big Ben chimes are still sometimes heard on BBC language transmissions, though no longer on the World Service in English.4--
PAUL DAVID,
Wembley Park, United Kingdom