Re: *OT* Re: [Swprograms] DOUBLE STANDARDS!

Re: *OT* Re: [Swprograms] DOUBLE STANDARDS!

I've had many interesting conversations regarding the story as portrayed in the movie compared to the account of the crucifixion in the gospels and how it is then preached in churches of various denominations.

The phenomenon is, frankly, not unlike what we in this group have talked about before regarding the differences between television and radio for the portrayal of information.  In the case of TV or a movie, there is nothing for the mind to "fill in" -- the images are on the screen for you.  By comparison, radio creates a "theatre of the mind", as we've long said.  The mind gets to abstract a picture based on the imagery in the audio coupled with our own accumulated life experiences.

Now overlay the written word by comparison.  The written word engages the mind even more -- since there are now no audio cues to guide you in the crafting of the mental imagery -- nor are there visual cues either.  So, the mind is then charged with filling in the imagery.  The Biblical account of the crucifixion fits here.

Compare that, now, with the movie.  As other media analysts have pointed out, the movie did add imagery that is not specifically contained in the biblical accounts -- but the movie was not subtractive from the Bible.

Taking the account of the crucifixion in isolation as presented on the Silver Screen versus the contextual relevance of the 39 books of the Old Testament and the other 23 books of the New Testament, suffused with the Roman Catholic traditions incorporated into the movie, is also short-sighted.  I'll lay odds that those movie critics that John mentioned who howled the most probably haven't read the Bible from cover to cover.

Now, let's bring this discussion back to Nipplegate for a moment.  The hue & cry that came up following that incident was also due to its occurrence without warning or counsel to viewers.  The Super Bowl is, for many, a family event.  By comparison, "The Passion" was rated R.  Prospective viewers were warned by virtue of that rating and by virtue of the hubbub accompanying the film's release.  I do not know if CBS alerted its viewers at the beginning of the Princess Diana program or even during the program that gory images were to be show.

Of the many people I know who went to the movie, no one took young children.

Respectfully,

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA