Re: [Swprograms] BPL - very depressing

At 08:19 AM 4/10/04 -0700, Kevin Anderson wrote:
>While I am also a licensed amateur radio
>operator,
>and am certainly thankful there for the efforts of
>the various international groups (ARRL, etc.) to
>combat
>this issue, I am also very much a shortwave radio
>listener.

WARNING: Unabashed solicitation follows:

If you were a member of the North American Short-Wave Association (NASWA), you would know that NASWA has been actively involved in the FCC's rule making process on behalf of all shortwave listeners in the USA for the past year.  During the Notice of Inquiry phase, NASWA, working closely with other opponents of this technology, successfully headed off the desire expressed by FCC Chairman Powell to raise the allowable interference limits in the hope of reducing the cost to the BPL industry to deploy this technology.

The FCC has recognized that there will be interference, even under existing Part 15 rules, and they now propose an obtuse procedural solution to mitigate interference on a case-by-case basis.  NASWA believes that approach is impractical when it comes to listeners to international broadcasts.  NASWA is currently preparing comments to the Notice Of Proposed Rulemaking for submission on May 3, 2004.

You can learn more about NASWA's efforts to combat BPL by going to the NASWA web site.  You can also learn how you can join NASWA to stay in touch with the latest information on BPL and what is available to listen to on the shortwave bands.

<http://www.anarc.org/naswa/>

73,

Joe Buch