From: "xploreusa" <xploreusa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <roadgeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 2:19 AM
Subject: [roadgeek] Re: Study: Obscure Hobbies Cause Changes in Brain

Hoax alert! I must come clean, and admit that I fabricated
the "Obscure Hobbies Cause Changes in Brain" story. It was merely an
April Fools' Day joke. I did have a heck of a good time writing the
story. :-) Did you like the needlepoint reference?!

Some parts of the story were pulled from a legitimate story about
jugglers' brains and changes in their brain. I just embellished with
details that pertained to our hobbies. I did send the posting out on
April 1, but the Yahoo! servers were pitifully slow and I apologize
if some of you received the posting on the 2nd of April. Blame
Yahoo! on that snafu.

Anyway, just having a little bit of fun with you guys.

One April Fools' Day story that I still remember to this day
occurred when I was a freshman at NC State University. While
stumbling towards an 8am class, I grabbed a copy of the student
newspaper and was amazed to discover a front page story declaring
our campus had just been named to the "Ten Most Beautiful Brick
Campuses" in the country list.

I was joyful because I enjoy top ten (and such) lists, and I admire
notable architecture and design. First, I couldn't believe that such
a list even exsisted and second, that our campus was deemed to be
among the greatest. Incredible, I thought! There I was treading a
path over those very bricks in the Brickyard and completely
surrounded by big brick buildings. Plus, I was less than an hour's
drive from the "Brick Capital of the World" -- the city of Sanford.

It all made sense, until we discovered that the staff of The Daily
Tarheel (from our rivals next door at UNC) had, in the early pre-
dawn darkness, surreptitiously replaced the legitimate paper with
their own fake newspaper. The paper looked identical to our regular
newspaper, but it was all fake. I wish I still had a copy of that
April Fools' Day issue.

--  John

> > Science - Reuters
> > Thu Apr 01, 1:10 PM ET
> >

> > Study: Obscure Hobbies Cause Changes in Brain
> >
> > Dangerous 'gray matter' alters brain structure in transportation
fans

> Let me guess.  April Fools.  :-)

John M. Sullivan
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, Earth