From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx <d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:10 PM
To: America, Mailing
Subject: Re: [IRCA] more same stations, different receiving setups

The large (for the cliff) broadband loops used by Tom and Chuck are superior performers for relatively sensitive investigation of the entire MW band, but do require some extended setup time (in comparison to your active whip and the FSL's), and have some weather vulnerabilities (in comparison to your active whip).

Your active whip provides generally good performance in covering the entire band, and excels in quick setup and weather survivability (as we all found out on the "day of the drowned rats").

The FSL's do require manual tuning (with the related weather hassles), but they provide unexcelled low band performance, extremely quick setup and have a huge advantage in performance for the compact size (they can be set up in one square yard of flat space).

Of course, all of these antennas get a DU-DXing performance boost when they are deployed at an ocean cliff site, with its solid-rock attenuation of back-side domestic signals and transoceanic signal boost. Related to this, I hope that you will post the results of your July 11th comparison of the ocean cliff propagation with that of the sea-level campsite nearby (in which the Rockwork 4 DU-DXing results kicked those of the sea-level site "off of the cliff").

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)