[IRCA] more same stations, different receiving setups

I was having some discussions with Theo Donnelly concerning the recent posting of comparative audio files from the Rockworks DXpedition.

The files posted by Gary tended to be recordings of higher signal levels than much of the DX more routinely heard. Comparing receptions of stronger signals may not be the best way to compare antennas and systems, as once a signal is a certain level, it will tend to sound good on any receiver / antenna combination, unless one antenna is particularly inefficient

Comparing weaker signals will more likely separate the men from the boys. Gary obligingly supplied what he regarded as a weaker signal from Star-576: http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/576-Star-1244z071116CCSW.MP3 and I went through my NetSDR files from that morning to see what I was hearing at that time and date: http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/576_20160711_1244.wav

Now, that's a difference.   The whip wasn't really up to the task.

Tom also supplied his reception of 576 at that time: <https://app.box.com/s/vusyc3zcgqepx9lhoxj7hhtqmq51bnv5>https://app.box.com/s/vusyc3zcgqepx9lhoxj7hhtqmq51bnv5 , and there we can hear the advantage of his delta loop / FLG100

This is a bit more like I expected, that the large amplified loop would deliver superior results to the active whip (as would the FSLs). Having said that, so far I've been gratified at how relatively well the whip performed, as I primarily wanted something that could be reasonably compared to an antenna exactly the same at another site, and was easy to carry and deploy, and this seems to fill the bill. Kept me out of the rain too. (I said earlier the whip was 3'; actually it is 4'; it was already packed away when the question was asked. Details on the whip are at: http://www.amrad.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/actant.pdf.pdf Although the designers praise the antenna's ability to ignore local noise conveyed down the coax shield, I found that I needed to have serious common mode chokes based on #75 material at either end of the coax to minimize noise from the DXer's computers etc.)

Gary's closing comment: "Tom and Chuck's Perseus-SDR + broadband loop combinations can sometimes come up with weak DU's on the X-Band that the FSL + Ultralight combos have no trace of. The mid-band comparisons can go either way. In comparison to broadband loops, the larger FSL's seem to have their best performance on the lower frequencies of the MW band "

best wishes,

Nick