[IRCA] Fwd: July 10 Rockwork 4 DXpedition-- Murphy's Law on Steroids

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 3:07 PM
Subject: [IRCA] July 10 Rockwork 4 DXpedition-- Murphy's Law on Steroids
To: "America, Mailing" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

..... Nick was only drenched from the knees down, apparently having escaped
the worst by deploying a more modest antenna requiring less setup time.

***************

Actually all the foreigners brought rain gear, Gary, but I did not have the
wonderful long raincoat that Hiroo-san wore, so all the rain ran off my
jacket and onto my trousers (note to self: bring rain pants, even in July,
to Rockworks).  Although DX conditions were generally not very good, there
were a few pieces of interest.

Japan actually was heard this morning....not very well, but it was there
from 1130 to after 1200UT.  A big surprise for me at this time of year and
at this location, 747 in parallel with 774 on an off for half an hour.

Presumed Korea was heard on 972, 1053 and 1566 also, but very poorly.

Vision Radio Network appears to have turned up with both 1611 and 1629 in
parallel, and there were other X-band Aussies as well after 1200UT, as well
as a few other Aussies.

Although I'd be embarrassed to post the poor audio for the above parallels,
there actually was a small low band New Zealand opening from about 1240UT
onwards, with some reasonable audio.

567 R New Zealand National was the strongest of the RNZ parallels this
morning:
http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/RNZNat567_20160710_1243.wav
while Star on 594 made an appearance //909 which was weaker in the
splash:  http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/Star594SAM_20160710_1245.wav
<http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/Star594SAM_20160710_1245.wav>

So,  it seems to have been Asia before 1200UT, Australia after 1200UT, then
finally a low band New Zealand opening from  about 1240UT. It was quite a
mixture, and except for the New Zealand opening, not particularly strong.

best wishes,

Nick

<http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/Star594SAM_20160710_1245.wav>