Re: [IRCA] DKAZ Construction Help Request

Sorry I am late to this thread and working on my own DKAZ's today reminded
me to reply here. While I won't be suggesting the cheapest idea I will be
suggesting the easiest and most simple method to have a very fine working
DKAZ.

1) Feed it with the FLG100LN amp directly at the antenna and use cable to
get back to the rx. The amplification is definitely useful for the low end
and doesn't hurt higher freqs. If you can make your own xfmr's and amps you
mish wish to do otherwise, but this is the easiest way.

2) Use a Vactrol for the termination (Rt). Well worth the money and saves
much aggravation from manually tweaking Rt and never being sure that things
still can't improve. I recommend using a multi-turn pot or having a second
low value pot in line for fine tuning. You can always replace with a fixed
Rt later if needing the Vactrol setup for another antenna. But for best DX
results I'd use the Vactrol.

Note that 1 and 2 create a fixed direction antenna.

Michael, I am afraid you've been misinformed concerning beamwidth. The 3dB
BW of a DKAZ is about 100 degrees. If you want a more narrow BW you have to
array two or even more of them. I array two here side by side currently
spaced 214 ft  and high end results clearly show a more narrow BW as
expected per theory and modeling. If I had more room I'd space them about
100m (328 ft) apart or a bit further.

>From your QTH, 75 deg bearing is fine for TA's but with so much of the
action now coming from the middle east I'd prefer 65 deg if that is
possible. That should get you a nice back null aiming down the eastern
seaboard where much of your QRM in NS will come from.

>From your QTH for southerly DX I would NOT aim 190 deg as you'll get lots
of QRM and you'd rather have less from Cuba and Venezuela and more from the
eastern Carib and Brazil I'd presume. I'd aim 155 deg if possible and that
should also provide chances for southern Africans.

73 KAZ