Re: [IRCA] Isolation Transformer

Hi Phil,

If you use an outside antenna, I suspect you might get more bang per buck by trying to minimize the noise delivered down the feedline, either through common mode chokes and/or antenna isolation transformers.

When I've used power line noise filters and isolation transformers, I haven't been able to obtain much improvement compared with cleaning up the antenna feed lines. I did have success once using a power isolation transformer with a sonar on a small boat where the AC power was provided from a later model gas generator with serious switching spikes in its output. But hopefully that wouldn't be equivalent to your city AC supply.

best wishes,

Nick