[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 12-18, 20166

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page44

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 900, Feb 18 at 0637 UT, local ad for Hamilton, then ``AM 900, CHML`` ID at 0638 UT and back to `Coast to Coast AM` (and it seems, beyond border-to-border). CHML is dominating 900 rather than any XE, and 860 also bears French from CJBC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Feb 18 at 1311 UT, just CCI without KGYN; by 1313 UT maybe it`s some country music in the mix. KGYN Guymon has been behaving itself lately, not a bigsig at night either so protecting Philadelphia, but I wonder if it`s even ND 10 kW in the daytime? At 1858 UT on the PL-880 it`s there but JBA. Feb SR/SS times are 1330-0030 UT (March: 1300-0045 UT). If their 50/10 kW CP is ever built, also calls for 39 kW during Critical Hours (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** U S A. 680, Feb 18 at 1317 UT, ad for a hatter featuring lots of styles and sizes of Stetsons, et al., ``at 119 Broadway, downtown``, another ad for something Texas-size. Gotta be KKYX San Antonio, and yes, 1319 UT YL resumes KKYX News. At 1300 UT I was getting XEORO in Sinaloa (see MEXICO) on 680, but KKYX goes to 50 kW ND day pattern at 1315 UT in Feb (March: 1245 UT), after night pattern of 10 kW SE into the Gulf (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-USB + carrier, Feb 17 at 0534 UT, religious talkshow in English with caller from New York, but this is no WCBS! Obviously KHAC Tse Bonito NM, lacking a lower sideband, and dominant now from the west, no problem from KRVN NE to the north. Its 10 kW ND day power makes it the best bet for NM to the east as long as KKOB and KTNN honor their requirement to null toward New York; unlike KCKN but QRM from KOKP and KDKA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Feb 15 at 1352 UT, ``Golden Oldies 14-30, KZQZ`` several IDs, apparent slogan change from ``Cool Oldies`` as in NRC AM Log 2015-2016, by DJ a.k.a ``Ambassador of Rock `n` Roll``, 1355 UT into news. On 50 kW day power, St Louis MO station remains dominant on skywave here, still VG as late as 1416 UT, almost an hour after our sunrise, instead of Tulsa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1500, Feb 17 at 1342 UT, turning on DX-398 still tuned for the warbler at night [see UNIDENTIFIED], now I hear nothing but Christian religion in English, wrapping up show with website reference, discovertheword.org, connected with Our Daily Bread, loops NE/SW, and 1345 UT ID as ``AM 1500, WBRI, Indianapolis``, and into another program. WBRI is a 5 kW daytimer with pattern southwest, favorable for us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Feb 15 at 1359 UT, ``1520 KYND with Joe Walsh`` (?), country music continues. Hearing this over KOKC without even trying to null it, and both are close to same azimuth from here (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540.04, Feb 15 at 1359 UT, checking for KGBC, the other ex-CRI relayer, after just hearing 1520 KYND. Yes, here it is making usual lo het from hi side, vs KXEL; soliciting advertising calls to 713-868-5559, a ``Siga Broadcasting`` station, ``AM 1540, KGBC, Galveston``. 1403 UT recheck already into a talk show, anti-Hillary. Interviewee seems named Sean (but not Hannity, I assume); now it`s also hetting KEDA 1540 San Antonio TexMex music, but mostly separable. 1411 UT into a ``short break`` in program name ending in ``Times``, financial ads; 1415 UT finally resuming show, but too much CCI now; 1419 UT has faded out? Not quite, 1421 UT now interviewing Elliot re financial matters. KGBC is 2.5/0.25 kW U4, and I also hear its het at night. Day pattern favors the north, and has no trouble leapfrogging the 32 kW Metroplex 1540, KZMP, with its tight E-W pattern (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

UNIDENTIFIED. 840, Feb 17 at 0536 UT, WHAS has a heavy 6 Hz SAH, but can`t hear any other audio. Wonder what that could be? Nothing fits in the mwoffset list from Canada, Cuba, Mexico or USA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, Feb 15 at 0438 UT, the warbling het against KSTP is still here, roughly from east. Les Rayburn from Alabama has offered to visit towns in Tennessee it might be coming from, but we ought to be able to pinpoint this without such drastic measures.

1500, Feb 15 at 0523 UT, hearing both the warblehet, and the blues station, latter presumably KCLF New Roads LA.

1500, Feb 15 at 1350 UT, the warble is still audible, one semi-hour after sunrise here, indicating it is not too far east into the dayside --- and still at 1416 UT. (1430 St Louis, q.v. still has a bigsig on skywave also as late as 1416 UT with 50 kW). I try to DF the warble again, and seems closer to E/W, 90 degrees than previous estimate of 95 degrees. Prime suspect is now WPOT Trenton TN (Jackson area), 250/6 watts, but two closest 1500s to it are KDFN Doniphan MO, 1000 watt daytimer, and WMJL Marion KY, 175 watt daytimer: WMJL is the one closest to the 170 degree bearing by Tom Jasinski from Joliet IL. (BTW, my nearest 1500, KPGM Pawhuska OK, 500 watt daytimer is also east of here, but not heard yet this morning, and no sign of the warble on it in full daytime) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, Feb 18 at 0451 UT, the warble is still weakly audible here with KSTP nulled. It seems there has been no progress the past week in pinpointing the source, but here`s a pertinent post from Feb 11 on the IRCA list:

``The 1500 noise is stronger here, in Acworth GA tonight. I went out and repeated the <roughly> 320 (magnetic N reference). On the SDR, the noises are on either side of 1500, leading me to believe that this is not a spur from 1490 or 1510. This is someone on 1500.

In my 37 years as a broadcast engineer, I have encountered a few older transmitters that would "radiate" even when the high voltage was off. Normally this only goes a few miles, if it radiates at all. This
typically goes away when the high voltage is "on". (So, the issue may not be apparent during the normal operation of the station.) I do not think this has anything to do with WFED.

I suspect that it is someone with an older transmitter on 1500; they may be signing off, but the transmitter may continue to radiate some sort of trash. Given a relatively 'vacant' channel (relatively speaking --- if there is such a thing anymore) a few dozen watts can travel a surprising distance at night.

I have heard WPOT here "after hours", so could be them, or someone in W. Kentucky, maybe S. Illinois. Although WPOT seems a bit to far west from what I am seeing here. Robert LaFore, Acworth GA``

WPOT is the 250/6 watt station in Trenton TN (near Jackson), also my suspect for other reasons (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---